In this post, I show you how to a 2D crochet Christmas tree ornament.
Used yarn and accessories
- Cotton and glitter yarn white color (Light 3)
- Crochet hook 3 mm
Christmas tree 2D crochet
🕰️ Working time: 30 minutes | Skill level: 🌸🌸🌸 intermediate
📗 Abbreviations & meanings (US terms)
- CH = chain
- SC = single crochet
- SLST = slip stitch
- INC = Increase, 2 SC in the same stitch
- DEC = Decrease, 2 SC together
You have to work in row in and return.
Follow the table below and remember to start each row with 1 Turning CH, where not specificate.
Crochet pattern 2D Christmas tree
|1||Start with 2 CHs and make INC in the 2nd CH from hook||2|
|3||INC, 2 SC, INC||6|
|4||INC, 4 SC, INC||8|
|5||1 SC in each stitches||8|
|6||Do not make 1 Turning CH, just turn the work and make 2 SL ST, 4 SC, skip the last 2 stitches.||4|
|7||INC, 2 SC, INC||6|
|8||INC, 4 SC, INC||8|
|9||INC, 6 SC, INC||10|
|10||INC, 8 SC, INC||12|
|11||1 SC in each stitches||12|
|12||Do not make 1 Turning CH, just turn the work. Make 3 SL ST, 6 SC, skip the last 3 stitches||6|
|13||INC, 4 SC, INC||8|
|14||INC, 6 SC, INC||10|
|15||INC, 8 SC, INC||12|
|16||INC, 10 SC, INC||14|
|17||4 SC, * INC, 1 SC*; REP * 3 times, 4 SC||17|
|18||1 SC in each stitches||17|
To finish close with 1 SL ST in the next stitch and fasten off.
Now repeat the pattern to make a second tree.
Worked the second tree, do not cut the yarn but use it to sew the two trees together.
Before starting the union of this two trees, decorate in the center of the tree embroidering a heart and a little ball.
How to embroider the heart
Follow the steps here below to embroider the heart and make more than one.
- Use gold thread and insert anywhere inside the work with the needle. Pass the needle from bottom to top, pointing the needle two stitches up from the started point and two stitches to the left. (see 1st photo)
- Continue making 3 or 4 passes of yarn, back and forth in the same place, to form one side of the heart.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 moving the needle two stitches to the right from the starting point to unwind the other side of the heart.
How to embroider a french knot
With the same thread used to make the heart, continue to carry out other decorations, such as, for example, the French knot representing the Christmas tree balls.
- Start with the gold thread and enter anywhere on the work. Pass the thread from bottom to top of the piece and make 2 turns of thread on the needle.
- Then pass the needle next to the starting point
- Then pull the yarn behind the work.
- This will form a decorative knot on the front of the work
Follow the video tutorial if you need more clarity in understanding the steps, which will show you how to do the embroidery of the heart and the French knot.
How to assemble the 2D Christmas tree
Once you have made the two sides of the tree join them together using the white yarn and knit a single crochet all around.
If you want you can add some padding, to give more thickness to the tree and I recommend that you do this when you are working on the base.
When inserting the padding, pay attention that the threads hidden inside it are not pulled, to the point of making the knots done at work disappear inside it.
I remind you of this detail, because it happened to me! 😅
On the next round, work a single crochet in each stitch, but this time with gold thread.
Finally, work the last round, working the single crochet in relief on the front, which creates a thick border around the tree.
During the final round, pay attention to unwind the 20 chains on the tip, to form a buttonhole that you will need to hang the finished work on the branch of your Christmas tree.
🎬 Crochet 2D Christmas Tree Video Tutorial
Let me know what you think below, give me a THUMBS UP 👍 if you like it and if it was helpful.
SUBSCRIBE to my channel to never miss any future videos!
The Christmas crochet project is finished!
Now make it too and share your photo on Instagram with using #PINKYCHRISTMASTIME! Do not forget to mention me with @giuliapinkytime, so I can reach your photo and see your final work!